Monday, November 2, 2009

NaNoWriMo...and so it begins

Ahhhh so this is what it feels like to blog again. I used to blog quite frequently at my old blog, under my old name - Lisa Pulliam. I've been using Lisa Leoni for about six months, but I just haven't blogged yet. I blog twice a month with my local writing chapter, the Mid-Willamette Valley RWA. And today I blogged about NaNoWriMo.

I've done NaNo a few times. The good news - I know what to expect. But the bad news? Also, I know what to expect. It's very clear to me what I've gotten myself into. Don't worry, I know it's voluntary. There's no imaginary gun being held against my temple to force me to write, but if it helps, I may imagine there is one. Maybe that gun, instead of shooting bullets, plays "It's a Small World" over and over and over again. That's some motivation to write!

I have technically been a romance writer for a few years, but have yet to fully finish a book. And by fully finish, I mean a solid first draft - start to finish- developed characters and everything. I've started several books, gotten around 50k on a couple of them, but then I lose interest. The well dries up. I have realized that I over-plot and I don't develop my characters (in my own mind) well enough, early on in the process.

My goal is to finish the dang book! I feel good about my idea and that I'm the right person to write this book. So now, I need to write it and actually edit it. Here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment