Thursday, November 12, 2009

I never wanted to be a dentist...

...but coming up with the words are like pulling teeth! Usually I can plot the first few chapters of a book with no problems. It's when I get to about 20k that I hit the invisible brick wall. However, there are a few things that are different this time around, in my approach and planning.

This had been my M.O. for the past few years.
Step 1) Think of a cool plot.
Step 2) Develop the major points of the plot.
Step 3) Think of characters that would work with the plot.
Step 4) Detailed plotting of the first few chapters at least.
Step 5) Write write write.
Step 6) Run out of fuel in the middle of the desert.
Step 7) Try, try, try again.
Step 8) Give up and start on a new, shiny idea...

You probably noticed several flaws with this approach. Me too, me too. I was fed up of starting books and not finishing them. So I decided to try a new way of things. Here it is.
Step 1) Think of a situation (not a plot).
Step 2) Think about the type of characters that would fit well in that situation, look at some archetypes for ideas.
Step 3) Develop the plot a bit, a basic idea.
Step 4) Think about the opening to the book and the character's reaction to the inciding incident.
Step 5) Begin writing until I run out of steam/ideas.
Step 6) Think about how the characters would react to their current situation at that point in the book for ideas on how to proceed.

As you may have noticed, my big change is trying to write in a more character-driven fashion. This isn't easy, I'm really struggling with thinking in terms of characters more than plot. I haven't had this much difficulty in writing the opening pages of a book before. I'm trying to be more purposeful and thoughtful in my character's reactions and actions. That has helped think of a few scene ideas, but I'm really running on empty with ideas.

I'm considering going through a couple of books I've read multiple times and listing out some scenes. Just a single sentence for each scene describing the action, movement of plot and characterization. Trying to retrain my brain to think in terms of characters over plot will be good in the long-term, but there sure are some growing pangs!

No comments:

Post a Comment