Tuesday, January 19, 2010

List 2 - iPod Touch/iPhone apps

A few weeks ago I found a great deal on an iPod touch so I bought it. Had my previous iPod for a couple of years and had double the music that would fit on it. I considered getting a classic iPod with a ton of space...but I wanted apps, baby! Holy cow am I glad I made that choice.

Since then, I've gone a little crazy with apps. I've googled lists of the best free apps and found some I was willing to pay for. So far, I absolutely and completely adore the device and what the apps allow me to do.

In case you have one, or are thinking of getting one, here are my favorite apps (so far).

Games:
AlienVSStick - both a free and paid version. You snap dripping snot to kill approaching enemies. It's surprisingly addicting, I swear.
Colosseum - this is my new favorite game. Sort of reminds me of some old school NES action. You kill monsters and use the money you earn from killings to buy weapons upgrades. The monsters get harder so you need the upgrades. Takes place in a Colosseum setting. Both free and paid versions.
CtC - this one really grew on me. You are launching a trebuchet to knock over structures. Really is addicting. Free and paid versions also.
DeerHunter - this is fun. You hunt and the scope is jumpy so it makes it tricky. I love it, pick it up every few days. Both free and paid versions.
Fat-a-pult - sooo addicting. Basically a character jumps on one end of a see-saw, shooting another person in the air. You tilt the device to try and eat the cans of beans to make the character fart so he flies higher.
Family Guy - a good level-based game based on Family Guy. I'm still using the free version, not sure what the paid is like.
FS5 Hockey - the ultimate air hockey game! It's so much fun, I swear.
iGraveDigger - this is super addicting. It's all about fast finger movements to dig graves, recover them, and redig to kill the creatures.
Lemonade Tycoon - run your own lemonade stand, it's fun.
LineUp - spent the most time on this game. A block clearing game, but the trick is that you get a limited number of taps per level, so you have to be strategic.
Moron Test - a game that will make you simultaneously want to throw your device, bang your head against the wall, and fist pump in total awesomeness.
Oregon Trail - splurge for the full version, it's so much fun. I've played it many times, and a full game can take an hour or so. It's super fun and lots of things to keep you entertained. Pricey as far as apps go, but it's worth it.
Solitare - self explanatory.
Twilight Golf - sometimes tricky to figure out, but it's a pretty incredible app. Definitely shows you what these devices can do.
Uno - who doesn't love Uno? Crazy people.
Urinal test - takes you through a series of urinal layouts, and you have to choose the most appropriate place to stand. It's hilarious.
Waterslide - this is a device-tilting game, really addicting.
Whac-a-mole - careful, if you buy the full version, you can spend quite a while on a game.
Zen bound - this game is incredible. It's so relaxing. You tilt the device to wrap a rope around objects. Trust me, it's better than it sounds. It's worth the download.

Health & wellness:
Andrew Johnson apps - I randomly came across his apps in the iTunes store. He offers apps for deep sleep, relaxation, even losing weight. It reminds me of being hypnotized. He uses his soothing, Scottish voice (yes, has has a SCOTTISH ACCENT) to help you relax and sleep, or avoid junk food cravings. Well worth the money. But I do recommend you get comfortable earphones or iPod speakers (I don't like to sleep with earphones on, toss and turn too much and I feel less safe blocking out my hearing).
WhiteNoise - Buy the full version, you get about 40 sounds of white noise. You can even set a timer if you're using it to fall asleep to, without it playing all night.

Photos:
This is my favorite category. By far. There are programs that let you do goofy things to photos.
'stachetastic - lets you add mustaches and other facial hair, not to mention awesome shades.
Devolve Me - as a budding anthropologist, this one caught my eye. It turns a photo into hominins such as Homo erectus. It's hilarious. if you ever wanted to see yourself (or a loved one) as a primate, get this app.
Mulletizer - like 'stachetastic? You'll love the Mulletizer. Add mullets, yellow teeth, trucker hats and beer cans to your favorite photos.
Younicorn - stop reading this description, just download it. Still here? Fine, I'll tell you about it. You can put a photo on magical backgrounds and add a unicorn horn. See? Told you to hurry and download it.

Web site apps:
These are some Web sites that have corresponding apps for ease of navigation within their sites.
Amazon
Dictionary.com
Ebay
Facebook
Fandango
Google Earth
IMDb
Kayak.com
Last.fm
OkCupid
Pandora
Skype
Southwest Airlines
Toodledo
Tweetdeck
Wikipanion

Other:
Anthropology - not a broad interest base, but for me, it's awesome. Basically a huge list of vocab for anthropology.
Bro2Go - fans of How I Met Your Mother need this comprehensive bro code database. You shouldn't go out without it.
DoodleBuddy - this is a fun, free app that lets you take advantage of the awesome touch screen technology and draw silly things.
Expressions - a database of about 1,400 Latin phrases and their English translations. Been planning on getting a Latin phrase tattooed below my hairline and this app helped me find one!
iBeer - ever seen a commercial where someone tilts their device and it looks like they are drinking a draft of beer? This one is it! It's fun :D
iFart - My. Absolute. Favorite. App. First one I downloaded. Don't judge me. Not only is there a long list of farts with the funniest names ever and even funnier sounds, there is a security fart option. You set this, put your device down, and when someone picks it up, it farts. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I've played that trick a few times on folks already. And you can set up fart buddies if another person you know downloads the program. Send farts to their device to go off! HAHAHAHAAHAHA! Need to make friends download the app so I can do this...
iHandy Level - Already used this to hang a painting!
iM+ - one-stop shop for various instant message programs
iMario - fun soundboard for classic Nintento Mario
IndyJonesFX - soundboard from the Indiana Jones movies, all that's missing is the sound of a whip cracking. But, I checked, there are apps for that.
iSamJackson - yes, I paid for an app that is nothing but soundbytes of Samuel L. Jackson. It's amazing. Buy it. Do it now.
iZen - Free and paid versions to keep your own Japanese garden. It's relaxing.
Remote - sync your computer's iTunes library to your device so you can control the computer's library from the device.
Shazam - haven't actually used it yet, but I've heard good things. It identifies songs for you, just hold it up to the radio or tv, wherever you hear the song.
TankBuddy - If you have fish tanks, you'll want this app to help you keep track of when the water needs to be changed, pH levels, feeding and much, much more. This company, Bravobug, is also coming out with a game soon. And there's TankBuddy for your Mac. Really great stuff.
TWSS - a "That's what she said" button. You can't top that.
Zippo - a zippo lighter. For when a real lighter is too dangerous at a concert. Lighters of the 21st century, folks.

I hope you enjoyed this list! Do you have any recommendations? I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. ok, 1. Kindle is opened up for app development now!!! Yay!!!
    2. Is there an Eastbound and Down app?

    ReplyDelete