Monday, January 18, 2010

List 1 - 2010 goals

I'm in a list making mood, so I'm going to blog a few lists this week. I'm going to start with some goals for 2010, putting them online makes me feel more accountable. I'm also planning to do a list of my favorite apps for the iphone/ipod touch. Just got the ipod a couple weeks ago and I've come across some apps that I absolutely adore! I haven't thought of the other lists I'm going to do yet. But I'm sure ideas will come to me, probably at the most inopportune moments.

The theme for this year is: do a little everyday. This goes for cleaning, doing dishes as they are dirty each day, picking up after myself each day - will keep my apartment from becoming a daunting task to clean. This also goes for my writing and goals for work (and my thesis!). Plus, the fun stuff too. I'll never learn the guitar if I don't do a little practicing each day. Same goes for learning Latin and trying to get decent at skating.

On to goals!

Let's start with writing because that's the primary purpose of this blog.
1) Finish my derby book by the end of July. I expect the first draft to be about 70,000, I tend to underwrite on my first drafts (need to go back in and layer more detail and description). That's 10k a month, 2.5k a week or so. I already have a bit of make-up to do on that goal...

If I finish by the end of July, I can take a break from the manuscript (MS) for the few weeks I'm in Scotland (omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgSCOTLANDomgomgomgomgomg) then come back with a fresh eye.

2) Revise the MS so it's all nice and polished in September. Also revisit my list of agents and editors to submit to - been a couple of years since that list was current.

3) Submit to agents and editors in October. Woot woot! Will finally get my PRO status for RWA (Romance Writers of America for y'all non-romance writers out there).

4) Enter the Golden Heart contest. This is the premier contest for unpublished romance writers.

5) Begin working on a new book in December and let the process start all over again :)

It'g going to be a busy year, but I think it's totally doable. I typically make the length of time I allow myself to complete writing goals way too short. This feels good.

Now let's do some work-related goals.

1) Get in a better habit of daily tasks. I need to get into a system of doing a few things each morning, first thing. Will make the rest of my job so much easier!

2) Read more news. I get so caught up in trying to promote news for my job, I need to take more time to just be more up on all news, know more about local reporters.

3) Be more proactive. I think that works in all aspects of life though :) And less procrastination.

Last, but not least, a few personal goals.

1) Let's carry that procrastination thing over to this section too, k? K.

2) Continue eating healthier and broaden my food horizons. Maybe this is the year I will rekindle my tolerance for seafood. No one thought I'd become a wine drinker and 2009 was the year for that. Let alone 2008 was the year of beer. I'm finally all growed up. Well almost...

3) Maybe *maybe* I'll open myself up to date. *looks around nervously* Okay, maybe not. That one could be saved for 2011 ;)

I think it's going to be a great year! Do you have any big goals? Anything you want to carry over from 2009?

2 comments:

  1. I finally bought myself a notebook to write my children's story... I think that's progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta girl! I'm so proud! *sniff sniff*

    ReplyDelete